top of page


EMS volunteers serving in rural areas may be eligible for insurance benefits for themselves and their family members through a partnership of local agencies, the Utah Association of Counties, PEHP, and the State of Utah.

Who’s Eligible?


To be eligible, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be licensed as an EMT, AEMT, or Paramedic

  • Provide EMS services as a volunteer/part-time unbenefited employee for a qualified rural agency

  • Respond to 20% of calls over a rolling 12-month period

  • For Medical and Dental insurance, not have affordable coverage available through an employer, a spouse’s or parent's employer, or a government plan or program 

AFFORDABILITY SCALE: If the monthly premium cost of coverage available from another source exceeds the following amounts, you may be eligible to participate:​

Insurance Type

Coverage is provided through PEHP and offers:


  • Comprehensive medical coverage with access to all rural hospitals and a choice of different hospital networks along the Wasatch Front

  • Dental coverage that includes preventive and basic services, major dental services, and orthodontics

  • No-cost $50,000 life insurance and $50,000 AD&D for volunteer, $10,000 life insurance for spouse and dependents

  • No-cost Long-Term-Disability benefit that pays $1,000 monthly for disability due to accidental injury, disease, or illness arising from your volunteer service



Monthly cost for the 2024-2025 plan year:


  • Volunteer: $0

  • Double: $92.52

  • Family: $192.39





  • Volunteer: $0

  • Double: $4.52

  • Family: $13.17

How Can I Enroll?


Open Enrollment

The deadline to enroll is June 15, 2024 for coverage effective July 1, 2024. Enrollment will be opened again in June 2025.


New or Eligibility Status Change

New EMS volunteers or existing EMS volunteers who have experienced a "qualifying" eligibility status change can enroll within 30 days by submitting the Enrollment Form. If your status has changed, you may still enroll outside of open enrollment. Please contact us for more information.


More Information

You may contact the Utah Association of Counties at (801) 265-1331 or email

What Happens if I Lose Eligibility?


If you no longer meet all of the eligibility requirements, your EMS coverage will end on the last day of the month in which any one of the conditions for eligibility no longer applied.



View Q&A slides from UAC, PEHP, and the Bureau of EMS below. You can always reach out to UAC for help at (801) 265-1331 or

Volunteer EMS Thumbnail.png
bottom of page